PRESIDENT BUHARI TO CORRECT THE ANOMALY
Nigerian government were told in the year 2000 that if the instrument of data governance was not created in Nigeria, it would be very difficult to meet up with developmental trends.
President Olusegun Obasanjo at the G8 meeting in Italy requested to understand why data governance is so important and what to do to create data governance in Nigeria.
The synonym used to simplify language understanding was e-government, this as we know did not detailed the fundamental platform for data governance, so Basic Registry and Information System in Nigeria BRISIN, was introduced to him by group of solution providers led by Dermo Impex of Italy.
A lengthy process that took almost 6 years to understand how this single instrument can resolve all ailment of a nation like Nigeria, with various ethnic, religious, tribal, and other sentiments, outside national vices like Terrorism, internal criminality, unemployment, health and education, and mostly documentation issues. Mr President, taking the bold step to run all necessary due diligence, and due process requested the for Series of consultations and presentation at all MDAs and finally Nigerian Government sent technical experts to Italy to have on the ground knowledge and experience on how it works in Italy and whether it would fit Nigerian multi problematic situations
At the return of the team led by the Statistician general of the Federation Dr Vincent Akinyosoye, that President Obasanjo gave provisional approval, and the visionary Minister of FCT now Governor of Kaduna State budgeted to start the pilot in FCT.
In 2007 the Hon Minister/Deputy Chairman of National Planning (Senator Walli) presented it to Federal Executive Council (FEC) and it was ratified and approved for implementation in Nigeria
WHAT IS IT THAT SECURITY PROBLEM AND VISA BAN LACK IN COMMON?
The answer is BRISIN IMPLEMENTATION
For the delay in BRISIN implementation, Nigeria has the problem of Security, among other things and now the embarrassment of international credibility on data and information making our documents like passport and I.D cards not credible
Looking at what Nigeria could have achieved if the implementation of BRISIN was not delayed;
- Data on every human being in Nigeria should have been known and his or her activities would be monitored
- All foreigners in Nigeria should have been known and their activities monitors
- Nigerian economy should have been known and monitored and controlled
- Crime should have been reduced to minimum and it should have been easy to identify criminals
- Terrorist would have left Nigeria because Security Agents should have used the data and information shared to fish out any terrorist
- Employment would have been massive in every aspect of the economy
- Every income earner, should have been paying Tax
- VAT should have been the hub for internal generated revenue and every commercial and economic operator should have been paying
- Health and Education should have regained their quality in Nigeria
- Social welfare would have received commendations
- Investors should have been flooding Nigeria on every aspect of our economy
- Government credibility would have reach the sky
- Nigerians in the Diaspora would have channelling their investment towards Nigeria
- African Nations would have been coming to Nigeria to help develop their economy
- The would would start respecting Nigeria.
CAN NIGERIA AFFORD THE CONTINUOUS DELAY OF BRISIN IMPLEMENTATION?
Today a leap in the right direction comes from the creation of the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development another reason for urgent use of BRISIN system as a base for data governance and achieve their mandate
To avoid further embarrassment, an immediate national board of data governance need to be constituted with BRISIN as their reference point, and the NSA, Hon, Ministers of Interior, Humanitarian Affairs, Science & Technology and Finance as institutional Members. The SG of NBS, 5 experts from the private sectors and 3 from Academia to be members.
While the office of SGF assume the responsibility to lead in the coordination of BRISIN implementation in Nigeria
Dr Anthony Uwa
Head of BRISIN implementation in Nigeria.